I’m passionate about sharing my love of the ocean and experiences with others through photography and story telling, and helping divers capture beautiful images.
Photography is a fantastic medium through which to create an awareness of the beauty – and plight – of our oceans. Images can stir many emotions and we, as underwater photographers, have the opportunity to tell visual stories about our underwater world and to encourage its protection and preservation.
I am a writer, photographer, underwater photography coach, dive boat skipper and dive guide for Indigo Scuba Diving Centre in Gordon’s Bay and lead underwater photography trips to incredible destinations across our watery planet. I am also a public and inspirational speaker and enjoy sharing images and stories of our underwater world.
I currently shoot with a Nikon D850 in an Isotta underwater housing and use Inon Z240 and Supe D-Max strobes. My go-to lenses for underwater photography are the Nikon 105mm and 60mm macro lenses and the Nikon 8-15 fisheye lense.
Writing / Articles / Judging
- As an underwater photographer and writer, most of my published work focuses on underwater photography, equipment reviews and diving destinations. For examples of my writing, please visit my Portfolio.
- I also serve as a judge on a number of international underwater photography competitions, including Deep Indonesia 2020 organised by Dive Photo Guide and Wetpixel.
- I am a regular contributor to international X-Ray Dive Magazine have been published in a number of South African magazines including WildAfrica.
- Women In Ocean Science have also featured me on their website.
- My photos have been featured on the iconic Wetpixel website and I am a featured underwater photographer on the uwphotographers.net website.
- I have also featured as Photographer of the Week by DivePhotoGuide.com and selected as a Featured Photographer by Dive Magazine.
- My written work and portfolio have also been featured in the digital e-magazine Scubashooters.net
- My portfolio is also featured on SUALTI Gazetesi.
Public Speaking, Interviews and Webinars
I love to talk about underwater photography and our amazing underwater world. Here are some of my favourite interviews and presentations:
- Beautiful News, an online publication that features inspirational people who make a difference in the lives of others.
- Two Oceans Aquarium, Cape Town – Scuba diving and underwater photography in South Africa.
- Orms Photography School – Macro Underwater Photography
- Whale Coast – Underwater Photography in False Bay
- WetPixel – Underwater Imaging in South Africa Video Interview with Editor Adam Hanlon
- Hunters of Light – Macro Underwater Photography Video interview with Quintin Mills
- BoomBiology – Podcast – Underwater Photography as a career
- Facebook Webinar on Underwater Photography with Orcatorch
- 2022 Hermanus FynArts Festival, presenting Arts of The Ocean.
Underwater Photography Workshops and Coaching
I am passionate about helping divers improve their photos and teach a number of in-person and online underwater photography workshops. More details can be found here.
Personally, I prefer to concentrate on my writing and photography and help others to improve their skills, which does not give me much time to go out and shoot for competitions. I have entered a few (mainly local) competitions to promote underwater photography in South Africa:
- Second, Third and Fourth place in Novice Category – Walker Bay Underwater Photo Competition 2015
- Selected as one of South Africa’s top 10 underwater photographers to exhibit at the Two Oceans Aquarium in Cape Town
- Third in Macro, Compact Category – Underwater Photo Marathon, Zagreb 2016
- Second in Advanced Category – Durban Undersea Club Photographic Shootout 2016
- Overall Winner – Durban Undersea Club Photographic Shootout 2016
- Third in Wide Angle, Ambient – Underwater Photo Marathon, Zagreb 2018
- Honorable Mention – International Underwater Photography Competition – Proteus 2021
- One of 21 Finalists of the 2022 Orms / Wavescape “The Ocean” Underwater Photography Competition.